My Photo
Name:
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States

Contact Us

Friday, January 05, 2007

Why Adrianne Curry Had Plastic Surgery :: Reprint from US Weekly


[REPRINTED FROM US MAGAZINE (www.usmagazine.com), Issue 618, December 18th, 2006]
[By Shirley Halperin]


AMERICA's NEXT TOP MODEL
ADRIANNE CURRRY


WHY I HAD PLASTIC SURGERY
The My Fair Brady and ANTM star shares her diary of the painful -- and funny -- moments of her breast reconstruction and recovery.

THINK ALL MODELS HAVE PERFECT BODIES? Adrianne Curry, 24, a former AMERICA"S NEXT TOP MODEL champ, would beg to differ. Ever since she was in her early teens, the 5-foot-11 newlywed (in May, she married her SURREAL LIFE co-star Christopher Knight, 49, with whom she is currently filming the third season of VH1's MY FAIR BRADY) was hyperconscious of the fact that her breasts were noticeably different in size. After years of feeling badly about her chest, the reality-TV star contacted Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Frank Ryan to correct the imbalance with implants. Curry underwent the procedure on November 14 and shared her experience with US.

["It would be so embarassing when photographers would yell out, 'Your left boob is larger than the other'" Curry tells US.]

THE NIGHT BEFORE

I'm having surgery tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. I've always shown my boobs and acted confident with them, but I wasn't. My left breast is a full B or a small C-cup, and my right breast is a full A-cup. My friends jokingly call me One Hang Low. I used to stuff wads of toilet paper in my bra to fill out the smaller side [see "How She Did Her Asymmetry, below]. Being a model and having something so gravely different, it's like having a hug f--king birthmark on the side of your body and trying to hide it in every shoot. I'd get uncomfortable when Chris grabbed my boobs. One night, he was really drunk and said, "Don't worry, baby, it's like being with two different women." That was the last straw.

I've made it very clear to Dr. Ryan that I don't want to look like a cartoon character. I'm a very skinny girl, and I'd look ridiculous with big boobs.

SURGERY DAY

I was nervous. The anesthesiologist said, "Don't worry, because before we knock you out, we're going to shoot you up with happy venom." I have no recollection of what happened after. Chris told me that as they wheeled me into the operating room, he me the hand sign for "I love you," and I lifted my head halfway, gave him the finger, then passed out.

Dr. Ryan gave me a larger silicone implant on the right and a smaller implant on the left to make both breasts the same size -- a medium C-cup. I was really happy because the implants look and feel very natural. My surgery lasted three-and-a-half hours. The incisions were made through the nipples. He put in two stitches and glued the rest.

When I woke up and I couldn't open one of my eyes, the nurse tried to pry it open for me. I was so uncomfortable. I wanted to ditch everything and just run. When we got to the after-care facility, I was screaming in pain, and they shot me up with morphine. Later, I was perscribed Percocet and Valium, but think because I was addicted to cocaine and heroin as a teenager, they didn't really affect me. The doctor said I was on enough drugs to take out an elephant.

SIX DAYS LATER

Chris had been so helpful. He's pulled down my pants to help me pee and given me sponge baths. it's been very hard because I hate people doing things for me, and I was literally rendered helpless. I don't have any bruises, but my right side is swollen. It's amazing to look down and think, Oh, my God, I don't have deformed deformed boobs anymore.

16 DAYS POST-OP

My nerve endings are starting to heal and tingle, and I'm in even more pain now than I was right after the surgery. It feels better when I wear a compression strap -- which keeps pressure on the implants so they don't get rounded at the top and look fake. Realistically, it'll take a year before I'm 100 percent healed. I just threw out my chicken cutlets because I'm never shoving anything in my bra again.

HOW SHE DID HER ASSEMETRY

Before going under the knife, Curry spent years trying to make her breasts appear equal-sized.

PADDING. At red carpet events, she would wear two bras and stuff her right cup with a "chicken cutlet" gel pad -- or crumpled toilet paper. "I've had toilet paper fall out on the red carpet," she US. "Thank God no one noticed."

POSING. At photo shoots, she would twist her body to show off her bigger breast and throw her right arm in the air to distort the smaller breast. "If you look at my PLAYBOY shots, every single one is cheated," she says.

PUMPING. Curry headed to the gym thinking pectoral-muscle exercises would help balance out the unevenness: "It didn't work."